611 W. Union Street
Benson, AZ 85602
(520) 586-0800

Health Choice Integrated Care crisis Line
1-877-756-4090

AzCH Nurse Assist Line
1-866-495-6735

NAZCARE Warm Line
1-888-404-5530



SEABHS
611 W. Union Street
Benson, AZ 85602
(520) 586-0800

AzCH Nurse Assist Line
1-866-495-6735

NAZCARE Warm Line
1-888-404-5530


powered by centersite dot net

Getting Started
Here are some forms to get started. These can be printed and brought with you so that you can pre-fill out some known info ahead of time. More...


Medical Disorders
Resources
Basic InformationLookupsLatest News
AHA News: Culture, Paycheck, Neighborhood Key to Your Heart's HealthDrug Combo Does Double Duty Against Common Skin Lesions, CancersBe Prepared to Take FAST Action If You Suspect a StrokeHeart Risks Vary Among Asian-AmericansAHA News: Emphysema May Raise Risk of Ruptured AneurysmsNew Facial Bone Might Someday Be Grown From the Patient's RibWhat Works Best for Women Struggling With a Leaky Bladder?Your Apple Watch Might Help Spot a Dangerous Irregular HeartbeatDocs Back Away From Low-Dose Aspirin for Heart Attack PreventionAHA News: Overweight Kids at Higher Risk for Blood Clots as AdultsEbola Survivors Continue to Suffer Years After RecoveryFewer Boys Are Suffering Head Injuries, But Rate Rises for GirlsAHA News: Black Woman in Their 50s Face Especially High Stroke RiskNew Drug Could Help Those With Tough-to-Treat CholesterolWhen Can Kids Return to Play After a Concussion?Need to Be Vaccinated? Try Your Local PharmacyOne-Third of U.S. Kids Have Back Pain, Study SaysBlacks, Hispanics Bear Burden of Air Pollution: StudyChickens Help Scientists Pinpoint Origin of Rare, Deadly VirusDry Eye and Migraines Might Be Linked: StudySkin Fungi May Be Tied to Bowel DiseaseYo-Yo Dieting Can Take a Toll on Your HeartAHA News: Opioid Meds Pose Danger to Kidney Disease PatientsHealth Tip: UTI Warning SignsStaph Infections Drop, but Levels Still Worry U.S. Health OfficialsTreatment May Allow Allergic Kids to Eat Eggs Safely: StudyAcne Drug Accutane May Not Depress Mood After AllHealth Tip: Preventing Carpal TunnelMajor Flooding Can Bring Skin Infection DangersSmall Trial Provides New Hope Against Parkinson's DiseaseIs Your Hand Pain Arthritis, Carpal Tunnel or Something Else?California Parents Are Getting Around Vaccine Law, Fueling Measles OutbreaksSeniors With UTIs Need Antibiotics ASAP, Study SaysWhy Do Some Kids With Eczema Develop Food Allergies?High-Fiber Diet May Help Gut 'Microbiome' Battle MelanomaTick Bites More Likely to Cause Red Meat Allergy Than ThoughtWalking, Not Riding, Boosts Health in Golfers With Knee WoesIs At-Home Stool Test a Viable Alternative to Colonoscopy?After Peanut Allergy Rx, Eating Small Bits of Peanut Might Help: StudyA Hard Look at Smoking's Effect on VisionPeanut Allergy Patch Shows Middling Results in TrialToxins in Home Furnishings Can Be Passed on to KidsKratom-Related Poisonings Are Soaring, Study FindsFDA Aims to Strengthen Sunscreen RulesBrain Condition CTE Seen in H.S. Football Players: StudyPregnant Women Should Delay Gallbladder Surgery, Study FindsGut Microbes May Help Drive Lupus, Study FindsMost Hip, Knee Replacements Last Decades, Study FindsAHA News: Living Near Convenience Stores Could Raise Risk of Artery-Clogging ConditionPossible Parkinson's 'Pandemic' Looms: Report
Questions and AnswersLinksBook Reviews
Related Topics

Cancer
Men's Health
Women's Health

A Family Tragedy Highlights Carbon Monoxide Danger

HealthDay News
by -- Robert Preidt
Updated: Dec 14th 2018

new article illustration

FRIDAY, Dec. 14, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- It was a chilly morning in Louisville, so Juvenal Garcia Mora warmed up the car inside the garage before planning to drive his two children to school.

By the next day, all three were dead -- victims of a tragedy that highlights the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Mora, 39, his 3-year-old son, Cruz, and daughter, Mayra, 8, were found unresponsive in the garage on Nov. 28. Louisville police called their deaths "a horrific accident."

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas produced by combustion. The safety group KidsandCars.org says it can quickly cause disorientation, sudden illness and death. Early signs of CO poisoning include headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea.

More than 400 people die in the United States each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Many of those deaths are vehicle-related. They can occur when cars are left running inside a garage or if the tailpipe becomes clogged by snow, ice or debris. Mechanical problems can also cause CO to leak into the cabin of a car.

"As more keyless ignition vehicles are sold, we are seeing an increase in these predictable and preventable injuries and deaths," Janette Fennell, president of KidsAndCars.org, said in a news release from the nonprofit organization.

It's easy to accidentally leave keyless-ignition cars running. Since 2006, there have been 28 deaths and 71 injuries due to carbon monoxide from keyless vehicles in the United States, the organization said.

Many of these vehicles don't have automatic shut-offs or warning systems. Even if you take the key fob with you, the vehicle could keep running, so it's essential to double-check that the car has been turned off.

Here are some other tips from the safety group:

  • Never warm up a vehicle in any enclosed space and never leave a car running in the garage, even with the garage door open. Do not allow anyone to sit in a running vehicle while you clear it of snow or ice.
  • Always check and clear the tailpipe of ice, snow or other debris.
  • Be sure you have working CO detectors in all areas of the home, especially near sleeping areas. Change batteries twice a year and replace detectors every six to 10 years.
  • If a CO alarm sounds in the home, take these steps: Immediately get everyone outside to fresh air, including pets; call 911; and don't go back into the home until you receive permission from authorities.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more on carbon monoxide poisoning.