I am 18. Lately I have been thinking that maybe I'm gay. I'm attracted to some guys, but that is only because I ask myself if I could be attracted to them. Let me explain--when I was younger, friends would ask me, "Do you think he's cute?" I would say that I didn't know, because in reality I didn't think of guys that way. So I got into the habit of looking at guys only to see if they were cute or not just so when someone asked I could tell them, yes or no. But I have always looked at women in that way. I would say she's pretty, etc. And I often have dreams where I am "with" another woman. I am afraid to be gay, and sometimes I cry over it. I'm not afraid myself, but just afraid that if I were, or am, how could I tell people, friends and family? I would be afraid to tell them if it were true. I don't know whether or not I am. And I don't know what questions to ask myself to see if I am gay. My step-dad is against the whole gay thing, but that's not why I'm afraid to tell anyone. I have a hard time understanding my feelings, and a hard time making friends. I haven't had many boyfriends, and don't really want any. I sometimes tell myself that I do, but I'm not sure. I am so confused and upset about this. Maybe you would know someone like this and how they solved their problem, or something I could do to clear up my own confusion. I would really appreciate an answer, thanks. Suzie
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.