Did He Or Didn't He?
Many years ago now I became involved with my college professor-mentor (although we were obviously attracted to one another while I was a student, there was no physical contact until I graduated and went on to graduate school in his profession). The relationship went on for many years. He was always ambivalent about it and me: one minute he would be passionate, the next he would tell me that he never cared about me, that we were never more than friends, and that our relationship was all in my head. I would have done anything, said anything or been anything in order to just have him tell me that he loved me. After many stops and starts I finally broke contact with him, married a wonderful man and became a professional success. The Problem: I still think about him much more than I should, and want more than anything for him to tell me that I wasn't crazy -- that he did care about me. He would be happy to be "friends" (I think that he is proud of my accomplishments in our shared field) but refuses to talk about the past, or to in anyway acknowledge that we were ever intimate. Given that my life is really quite good, why does this still matter so much to me?
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.