Friend's Downward SpiralSun, Feb 27th 2005
I have a friend who is on a downward spiral. She has stopped working 4 years ago... has lost her license for 5 years..( I don't know what for.. most likely drinking) I think she takes pills too. Sometimes when I ring she is incoherent. she finds it hard to go out. Sometimes she makes it out & comes out to lunch but at least two or three times a year she leaves me standing on some street corner or cafe waiting for her. She doesn't show. She rings and makes some lame excuse. The recent time makes me more concerned because this time I turned up at her house with my 4month old baby and she simply didn't answer her door. She rang two hours later and blamed me for not showing.. Even though I did and I knocked for 20 minutes before leaving. I told her this and got a little mad.. She thought about this and sent me an email apologizing saying that she had fallen asleep.. I don't know what to do. This blaming me thing has me crossed over to where I don't want to try any more... I don't want to leave her in the lurch but it has been years now of no improvement... Do I walk away? I want to.. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.