13 Yearl Old
Help! I have a 13 year old son who is out of control. He was diagnosed with ADD in the past (about 2 years ago) and he has had some fine motor skill problems. I will try to sum it up as much as possible. He is very disrespectful, takes everything literal, argues with everything I say even when he is asking me for the help, can not control his anger, is eating as if he was never taught manners (with his fingers) and nothing is ever enough for him. He speaks to me like he hates me and has actually told me he does. I’ve been a wonderful mother to him and he thinks I’m so horrible. I understand the teenage years, but he is totally overboard. He rarely ever has anything nice to say to me. He’s been raised in a very loving family and he is very blessed to have the things he has. We recently moved to a new home in a better school district, which is about 40 minutes from where we were, but I know this can’t be the problem because this started before the move.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- Dr. Schwartz responds to questions about psychotherapy and mental health problems, from the perspective of his training in clinical psychology.
- Dr. Schwartz intends his responses to provide general educational information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by Dr. Schwartz to people submitting questions.
- Dr. Schwartz, Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. Dr. Schwartz and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.